New EU Commission in office
After approval for the candidates of Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker from the European Parliament, the Commission was able to assume office on 1. November 2014. Some structural changes were set, which also affects consumer policies.
It was a tug-of-war between Parliament and Commission before all new members were set. Nevertheless, it is the first time since 1994 that a Commission starts punctual. President Jean-Claude Juncker, former prime minister of Luxembourg, has announced ten main topics on which the Commissioners should work in project teams. This is a new strategy.
Furthermore, the resorts were redistributed. Beforehand, consumer and health build one resort. From 1. November on, it will be justice, consumers and gender equality, led by Věra Jourová.
Ten main topics
In his "Agenda for jobs, growth, fairness and democratic change" Juncker defines the political guidelines for his term of office.
- A new boost for jobs, growth and investment
- A connected digital single market
- A resilient energy union with a forward-looking climate change policy
- A deeper and fairer internal market with a strengthened industrial base
- A deeper and fairer economic and monetary union
- A reasonable and balanced free trade agreement with the U.S.
- An area of justice and fundamental rights based on mutual trust
- Towards a new policy on migration
- A stronger global actor
- A union of democratic change
Find all details here: A new start for Europe
To obtain these goals, project teams were installed. Each Commissioner is involved in several such teams.
The new Commissioner for justice, consumers and gender equality, Věra Jourová , is involved in the following project teams:
- Jobs, Growth, Investment and Competitiveness
- Digital Single Market
- Energy Union
- Euro and Social Dialogue
- Better Regulation and Interinstitutional Affairs
- Budget and Human Resources
Before being appointed to Brussels, jurist Jourová has been minister for regional development in her home country Czech Republic. In her statement before the European Parliament, Jourová underlined that she will put people at the centre of her politics. Her aim would be to give people in the EU more choice, more protection and more trust.
Find the whole speech here: Introductory Speech Věra Jourová
On the new website of the European Commission you may find further information about the new Commissioners, president Juncker, the project teams as well as press releases and news of the Commission.