Tolls in Austria
With few exceptions, you need the so-called vignette for all motorways and motorways in Austria. Blue signs indicate this toll obligation directly at the access roads to motorways and motorways or at border crossings.
Toll sticker prices in 2023
The motorway vignette is available as a sticker or as a digital product. With the digital version, the vehicle is registered with its number plate. The prices are the same for both versions.
🚗 Car (Multi-track vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes including trailers)
- 10 Days € 9,90
- 2 Months € 29,00
- 1 Year € 96,40
🏍️ Motorcycle (single-track vehicle including sidecar)
- 10 Days € 5,80
- 2 Months € 14,50
- 1 Year € 38,20
The following five motorway sections allow you to drive without a vignette. They are especially interesting for those driving into Austria from Germany.
- A1 Westautobahn between border crossing point Walserberg and Salzburg-Nord in Salzburg
- A12 Inntalautobahn between border crossing point Kiefersfelden and Kufstein-Süd in Tyrol
- A14 Rheintal/Walgau Autobahn between border crossing point Hörbranz and Hohenems in Vorarlberg
- A26 Linzer Autobahn in Upper Austria, as long as construction works are unfinished
- S5 Stockerauer Schnellstraße between motorway junction Jettsdorf and Krems an der Donau in Lower Austria
The so-called Streckenmaut (route toll) applies on the following roads. If you ONLY drive THESE sections between these toll stations, you do not need to buy the general vignette. The ASFINAG toll planner provides information on whether a vignette or the route toll is required for a route.
Extra tolls are payable on these six motorway sections:
- A9 Pyhrn Autobahn: Bosruck tunnel between Upper Austria und Styria.
- A9 Pyhrn Autobahn: Gleinalm tunnel in Styria.
- A10 Tauern Autobahn: Section with mit Tauern tunnel and Katschberg tunnel between Salzburg and Carinthia.
- A11 Karawanken Autobahn: Karawanken tunnel between Carinthia Kärnten and Slowenia.
- A13 Brenner Autobahn, complete route in Tyrol.
- S16 Arlberg Schnellstraße, Arlberg tunnel between St. Anton am Arlberg and Langen am Arlberg between Vorarlberg and Tyrol.
attach it correctly!
The sticker must be affixed in a clearly visible position before driving. Anyone who carries a sticker that has not been affixed, for example, only in the glove compartment or does not remove the backing film correctly before affixing it, will be punished.
If you are driving a car, it is best to affix the sticker to the inside of the windscreen at the upper edge below any tinting strip that may be present. According to the toll regulations, Part A I 2.2, the toll sticker must be affixed in such a way that the photos of the toll cameras enable image recognition.
On motorbikes, on fixed parts, such as the tank or fork leg, and not on removable panniers or bags.
10 - day vignette
Here the punched day already counts, so on the tenth day it is only valid until midnight. e.g. punched on 4 July, valid until midnight on 13 July.
2 - Monthly vignette
Valid until midnight of the same day in the following month, e.g. punched on 4 July, valid until midnight of 4 August.
- In physical sales outlets (petrol stations, etc.), you can also buy the Digital Annual Vignette as a scratch-off card. After scratching off, a code can be seen on the front. In the online shop on the ASFINAG website, click on "Redeem scratch card" and enter the code as the payment method. The digital annual toll sticker activated in this way is then valid immediately and not in 18 days.
- The 18-day period does not apply to the digital single trip route toll. (Attention not vignette!) The digital route toll purchased online for one or two journeys is valid immediately. You can see in the digital route record for which period the licence plate registered with your payment has been activated.
Sequence in the collection
- First of all, ASFINAG demands a replacement toll of 120€ either during a spot check on site or subsequently in writing, usually in the national language of the vehicle owner. The replacement toll must be paid within four weeks after the letter is issued.
- If the ASFINAG replacement toll has not been paid, or if ASFINAG, at its own discretion, immediately initiates the procedure with the authorities, the replacement toll claim is terminated and the district authority (or the magistrate) takes over the case. The authority now demands a lump sum of 365€ as an anonymous order from the licence holder. This demand is made in writing and without proof of delivery to the address known to the registration office for the vehicle. This payment must reach the authority's account within 4 weeks, otherwise the next step will be taken. This anonymous order also counts as an information letter in accordance with Directive (EU) 2019/520 on cross-border toll collection. No legal remedies are permitted against anonymous orders.
- If the anonymous order has not been paid, the authority proceeds to investigate the offender(s) and imposes an administrative fine of between €300 and €3,000. They send an RsB letter with proof of delivery. In the case of foreign licence holders, this claim will be handed over to the corresponding foreign administrative authority for collection. The administrative fine can be appealed in writing (email, post, fax) or orally on the spot to the issuing authority, stating counter-arguments. If the facts are favourable, this may result in a warning, reduction of the penalty or discontinuation of the proceedings. The letter imposing the administrative penalty must have been written by the authority within one year of the toll violation (attention not delivered!), otherwise the claim becomes time-barred and invalid.
- If the fine has not been paid and the vehicle is driving in Austria again, the inspection bodies according to § 27 and §28 BstMG are allowed to interrupt the further driving (taking off keys, papers, wheel clamp etc.) and to arrest the vehicle. If the fine is not paid within 72 hours, the authorities may confiscate the vehicle as security. However, this procedure is rather uncommon, as the collection of fines also works well in other EU countries (see step 3).
- The claim of the administrative fine can be executed for up to three years, if this does not happen, it becomes time-barred.