|  Image: Yaya-Photos / Shutterstock
Alitalia to be discontinued - successor ITA in the starting blocks
Italy's largest airline Alitalia has been in the red since 2002. Since 2017, it has been kept afloat financially by direct state participation and billions in bridging loans to avert complete insolvency. Now it has become clear that the pandemic has finally ruined the state's restructuring and sale plans from autumn 2020. A new formation initiated by the Italian Ministry of Economy is now taking place under the name Italia Trasporto Aereo (ITA) and is scheduled for 15 October 2021. From then on, the first ITA flights are to take off.
The slimmed-down ITA will no longer employ the 10,000 staff of the old Alitalia, but will take over only 2,800 of them, about 1,500 of whom are flight personnel and all of whom are subject to the new Italian collective agreement for air transport. Likewise, 52 aircraft will be acquired from the Alitalia stocks. Transport Minister Enrico Giovanni emphasises the economic potential of the new airline and also that consumer and workers' rights will be protected. There will be flights to 45 international destinations via 61 routes, and the plan is to expand in 2022 if possible.
An earlier relaunch of the airline in August had actually been targeted in order to be able to participate in the 2021 holiday season. Therefore, ITA had already started selling tickets at the end of August, but in the end this date was not met. Tickets can only be purchased on the airline's website www.itaspa.com for flights from 15 October.
What about my Alitalia ticket?
Kontakte bei Ticketänderungen und Rückerstattung
- The easiest way to obtain a FULL REFUND is to use the Alitalia online entry form yourself
- for a PARTIAL REFUND or rebooking, you can contact these three hotlines:
- within Italy (toll-free): 800 65 00 55
- in Austria: 00 43 (0) 82 09 51 05 1 (workdays MO-FR 8am – 7pm)
- from abroad: 00 39 06 65 649
- for premium customers from the MILLEMIGLIA frequent flyer programme there is a separate customer service
- Passengers who bought the ticket at the TRAVEL AGENCY can contact their travel agent directly.